Monday, October 21, 2013

3:00am conversations with a one year old

Lucas has a cold. He sounds all congested, and last night he slept really, really horribly. The longest stretch he slept all night was about an hour and a half. Which of course means that the longest stretch I slept was about an hour and twenty-five minutes... give or take. I lost count of how many times he woke up, but it was definitely more than six... as evidenced by the whiny text messages I kept sending to Dan throughout the night (Dan was working a night shift.)

I am no stranger to being up with him in the middle of the night, but it's been months since I've had to get up with him, so this was the first night we've been awake together where he could actually talk. And man, did he talk! He speaks really clearly for a 20-month old, and he started talking early and knows a lot of words for his age. But he's still only 20 months old. So since he doesn't know a ton of words, he just says the ones he knows over and over and over and over. When I wasn't feeling super cranky from exhaustion, I actually kind of loved our middle-of-the-night talks in the rocking chair last night.

Our conversations went like this:

"Rocking. Rocking. Mama. Mama. Mama?"
"Yes, Lucas."
"I ya you." (I love you. - Cue me melting into a puddle.)
"I love you too, baby."
"Mama. Mama. Rocking. Mama. Dada. Dada?"
"Dada's at work."
"Yeah. Dada. Work. Work. Run? Running?"
"No, Dada's not running. Dada's at work."
"Yeah. Work. Dada...." (long pause) "Cow. Cow. Cow. Cow?"
"What does a cow say?"
"Boooo. Funny!"
At which point, I burst out laughing, of course.

Because he kept waking up, I thought it might help if I let him sleep in bed with me, and man, was that a terrible idea. He slept for 45 minutes and then woke up at 4:30 am incredibly excited that he got to hang out with his mommy in the middle of the night. So neither of us slept until I finally took him back to his own bed, where he slept for an hour and a half and then woke up for the day around 6am. (He usually sleeps until at least 8:15.)

So, I'm exhausted today, and while Lucas napped, I had a chiropractic appointment for my butt issues, so I didn't even get to nap. This little man is totally worth the exhaustion, but I'm really hoping we both get some more sleep tonight!

He seriously doesn't look at all sick, does he?
Don't let the smile fool you. He's kind of a disaster today.


If you want to vote for me and/or make me some coffee, that would be much appreciated!
Circle of Moms Top 25 Family Blogs by Moms - 2013 - Vote for me!

7 comments:

  1. i hope lucas feels better! i also hope you both get sleep tonight.
    i am the worst person ever on no sleep, so i mean that from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It turns out that he had croup, but he slept through the night last night and sounds much better this morning. Woo hoo!!

      Delete
  2. I sure hope he is feeling better. Those nights of being up with them sick are not fun, but the extra cuddles are so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is feeling much better today. He ended up having croup, but he slept through the night last night and is feeling much better today. And you're right - the cuddles make the lack of sleep easier to deal with. :)

      Delete
  3. Your blog is awesome! You are a gifted writer and combine honesty and wit.

    Swappingsan on swapbot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just voted for you :3

    It really seems that you are enjoying motherhood :D

    Abigail

    ReplyDelete